Streams of Consciousness is currently accepting submissions.
Who Can Submit
Submissions are open to students in the School of Medicine, Graduate School of Nursing, and Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, as well as residents, faculty, and other members of the UMass Medical School community.
General Submission Rules
Any information in your submission that can compromise confidentiality should be removed, as per HIPAA guidelines.
Works that have previously been published elsewhere will be considered. You must include information about prior publication in the cover letter that you supply as part of the submission process.
Submission Types and Formatting Requirements
Photography submissions should be submitted as .jpg files. A maximum of 5 photographs (1 per document page) may be submitted in one publication cycle.
Poetry and Prose submissions should be submitted in either .doc or .docx format with page numbers in the lower right footer. Text should be in Times New Roman, font size 12. A single poetry submission should not exceed 5 pages. Up to 10 pages of written material can be submitted in one publication cycle.
Prepare a cover letter as a separate file. The cover letter should include the following:
- Title of submission
- Author(s) with each author's institutional affiliation and highest academic degree or professional certification
- Name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the author responsible for correspondence
- Clearly state the purpose of the submission and its expected contribution
- Funding statements and/or other acknowledgments
- Any previous presentation or publication of this content
The following submission agreement must be agreed to as the first step of the submission process:
Thank you for submitting a piece to Streams of Consciousness (the "Journal").
To submit a piece for consideration:
- You must be the creator of the submitted content;
- All contributors must have agreed to submit the piece to the Journal;
- The submitter accepts full responsibility for the content of the submission;
- Content must be the submitter’s original work and must not infringe on the rights or privacy of others (and must adhere to HIPAA guidelines regarding patient confidentiality).
- Submitters are responsible for obtaining the rights to use 3rd party materials prior to submission
By submitting the content, you represent and warrant that the above is true.
Each piece submitted will undergo the editorial decision process. Streams of Consciousness is not under any obligation to publish submitted content. We will send you notices of progress in the selection process via the email address you have provided.
Creators of original work accepted for publication in Streams of Consciousness grant non-exclusive publication rights to the journal but retain ownership of the copyright of their content. All content in Streams of Consciousness, unless otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution—Non-Commercial—NoDerivatives License, (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/). Under this license, authors' work may be re-used, redistributed, and reproduced in any medium, provided that the authors are credited and properly cited, the use is non-commercial, and the work is not altered, transformed, or built upon in any way.
By clicking Accept you agree and consent to the Submission Agreement.
Before you begin the online submission process, please be sure you have the following items ready:
- The submission's title
- Names, affiliations, and email addresses of all authors
- A brief description or abstract describing your submission
- A list of keywords
- Submission in one of the following formats: Microsoft Word (for prose and poetry) or JPG (for photography).
- Prepare a separate cover letter to introduce your submission to the Editor(s), as described in the section above
The submitting/corresponding author will use the eScholarship@UMMS system to make the submission. Open your web browser (Chrome and Firefox work best) and go to http://escholarship.umassmed.edu/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=soc. Or, click on the Make a Submission link in the left sidebar on the Streams of Consciousness website.
If you already have an eScholarship@UMMS account, please log in. If you have never made a submission to eScholarship@UMMS before, you will need to click on Sign Up under the login box to create a free account. (It will be separate from your UMass network login.) Please enter “University of Massachusetts Medical School” as your institutional affiliation. After you click the Sign Up button, the eScholarship@UMMS system will send you a confirmation email. Click on the link in the message to confirm your account.
After logging into the system, you will be presented a submission agreement (see details above) as the first step of the submission process. Please read the agreement carefully, print it for your records, check off the box, and click the Continue button.
You will then be presented with the submission form. Authors should follow the entry instructions for each field.
After clicking on the Submit button, the system will display a submission confirmation page so that you can review your submission. There are links at the bottom of this page where you can revise your submission, upload additional files, or log out. You will also receive a system-generated email message to confirm receipt of your submission.