Document Type

Transitions ACR

Publication Date





Do you know that you can take your Emotional Support Animal (ESA) with you to college? The Fair Housing Act (FHA) says that “Housing providers cannot refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services when such accommodations may be necessary to afford a person with a disability the equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling.”3 This means that colleges and universities must allow ESAs in housing, even if there is a no-pet policy. Find out more about bringing your ESA to college with you in this tip sheet.

3 U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (n.d.). Assistance animals. Retrieved from https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/assistance_animals

See also the companion tip sheet: Emotional Support Animals: The Basics

Subject Area

Education and Training, Rehabilitation/Recovery, Transition Age Youth


Emotional Support Animals, ESA, pets, service dogs, mental health, therapy animal, service animal, young adults, college, education, housing, office of disability services, Fair Housing Act (FHA)

Rights and Permissions

© 2021 University of Massachusetts Medical School.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.



Email the Authors

Anwyn Gatesy-Davis