Library and Information Science | Medicine and Health Sciences | Public Health | Social and Behavioral Sciences
Did you know that the opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it is connection? Recovery is hard. It has become more challenging as we live with uncertainty, distancing, and other barriers to connection that have recently occurred because of COVID-19. The coronavirus epidemic and the stay-at-home safety measures we have been asked to implement create additional challenges that can have an effect on an individual’s ability to maintain sobriety. We invite you to a webinar presented by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine and several behavioral health and addiction support professionals from central Massachusetts as they share strategies, insight and practical ideas for accessing virtual resources, locating the most helpful support and sources of connection, as well as some tangible guidance for navigating the specific situations and circumstances COVID-19 is presenting to those pursuing recovery.
- Identify free or low cost sources for internet connectivity for those who do not have access to the internet.
- Understand how maintaining structure can help in uncertain and stressful times
- Learn how to anticipate and to develop a plan to address situations that may be on the horizon that could interfere with your sobriety. For example, loss of employment or receiving financial assistance from the government.
- Become familiar with national and local organizations that offer resources such as virtual meetings, telehealth services for physical and behavioral health and free resources for health and medical information.
- Learn about strategies that can help manage stress and aid in the acceptance of difficult circumstances.
substance use disorder and COVID-19, maintaining sobriety during COVID-19, maintaining recovery during COVID-19, virtual recovery resources, social distancing and recovery
DOI of Published Version
Network of the National Library of Medicine New England Region (NNLM NER) Repository
Halpin S, Pelletier S, Monfredo J, Nichols A, Earielo M, Tobin J, Aussem P, Haddon A. (2020). Strategies and Resources for Maintaining Sobriety During COVID-19. Network of the National Library of Medicine New England Region (NNLM NER) Repository. https://doi.org/10.13028/wsbv-0h59. Retrieved from https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/ner/83
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.