Submission Guidelines for Graduate School of Nursing DNP Scholarly Projects
- Benefits to GSN students of having your DNP project archived in the eScholarship@UMMS repository
- Requirements prior to submission
- Before you begin the online submission process
- Log in or create your account in eScholarship@UMMS
- How to submit
- Submission agreement
- Fill in submission form
- What happens next
- Published manuscripts of DNP project work
- Recommended citation and download metrics
Benefits to GSN students of having your DNP project archived in the eScholarship@UMMS repository
- Immediate exposure through Google and other search engines to maximize readership and impact of your scholarship
- Dissemination to a wider audience and increased exposure potentially lead to earlier and increased citation of your work
- Download statistics are available
- Permanent link, DOI and citation for inclusion on your CV
Requirements prior to submission
- Students must follow the Graduate School guidelines for preparation of DNP projects to ensure that formatting is correct, no required pages are missing, and their projects are properly converted to PDF format. No compression or password protection should be used and all fonts should be embedded in the document. A good resource for formatting PDF files using Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat Professional is available at: Best practices for producing high quality PDF files.
- The student should ensure that their project is free of errors. Once the Graduate School has posted the project on eScholarship@UMMS, corrections cannot be made unless the student submits an official request to the Director of the DNP Program.
- The Graduate School of Nursing eScholarship@UMMS DNP Scholarly Project Permission Form must be filled out and signed by the student and the student’s DNP Committee Chair. This form certifies that the manuscript is complete and has been approved by the student’s advisory committee.
- The full text of DNP Scholarly Projects are made publicly available in the university’s repository, eScholarship@UMMS. If the student wishes to request an embargo (i.e., a delay in online access to the full text), they must indicate it on the permission form. Guidelines and a full explanation of embargoes and public access is available at Policies for Graduate School of Nursing DNP Scholarly Projects.
- Students are required to register for an ORCID and enter their ORCID ID on the Graduate School of Nursing eScholarship@UMMS DNP Scholarly Project Permission Form. ORCIDs are unique author identifiers for researchers. Registration is free and takes 30 seconds.
- The completed Graduate School of Nursing eScholarship@UMMS DNP Scholarly Project Permission Form must be scanned in order to be uploaded along with the project as part of the submission process.
Before you begin the online submission process
Before you begin the online submission process, please be sure you have the following items ready:
- Full text of your final, approved DNP project in PDF format
- Name of DNP Committee Chair
- Scanned PDF version of the completed and signed Graduate School of Nursing eScholarship@UMMS DNP Scholarly Project Permission Form
- Supplemental files to be displayed on the web page with your project (e.g. data sets, video clips, sound files). See Graduate School of Nursing DNP Scholarly Projects Policies for other options to make supplemental research data files accessible.
Please note that Chrome and Firefox browsers work best for the eScholarship@UMMS site. Some users of Safari and Internet Explorer have experienced problems with the submission process.
Log in or create your account in eScholarship@UMMS
- Open your web browser (Chrome and Firefox work best) and go to https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=gsn_dnp. Or, click on the Submit DNP Project link in the left navigation pane on Graduate School of Nursing DNP Scholarly Projects.
- If you already have an eScholarship@UMMS account, please log in. If you have never made a submission to eScholarship@UMMS before, you will need to click on Sign Up under the login box to create a free account. (It will be separate from your UMass network login.) When creating an account, it is preferable to provide a permanent email address that you can still use after graduation. Please enter “University of Massachusetts Medical School” as your institutional affiliation.
- After you click the Sign Up button, the eScholarship@UMMS system will send you a confirmation email. Click on the link in the message to confirm your account. (If you do not see the confirmation message in your email inbox, check the junk mail folder.)
How to submit
After logging into the system, you will be presented a submission agreement as the first step of the submission process. This is the same agreement as specified on the Graduate School of Nursing eScholarship@UMMS DNP Scholarly Project Permission Form. Please read the agreement carefully, print it for your records, check off the box, and click the Continue button.
Fill in submission form
Enter all information (demographic information, approval date, title, keywords, committee chair, abstract, etc.) into the eScholarship@UMMS submission form for your project. Follow the entry instructions for each field..
Under Upload Full Text, select one of the two options:
- “Upload file from your computer”: Click the Browse button to locate the PDF file of the final version of your project on your computer and upload it.
- “Link out to file on remote site”: If your final project PDF is on Google Drive or Dropbox, get a link for sharing and enter the shareable link in the box. This option is recommended if your file is large (5 MB or larger).
Check the box under “Additional Files”. Upload:
- Scanned PDF version of the completed/signed Graduate School of Nursing eScholarship@UMMS DNP Scholarly Project Permission Form
- Optionally, any supplemental files to be displayed on the web page with your project (e.g. data sets, video clips, sound files)
You can enter a description for each file, e.g. “permission form.” When all additional files have been uploaded and saved, click the Continue button to complete the submission process.
When you see the message indicating that your submission has been successfully uploaded, you are done. You will receive a system-generated email message to confirm receipt of your submission.
If you experience problems during the submission process, contact , the eScholarship@UMMS administrator.
What happens next
After reviewing the submission, the Graduate School or the Library will contact the student for any revisions necessary. If revisions are necessary, the student will make the changes in his or her original document, reconvert to pdf and submit the changes online through eScholarship@UMMS.
To revise your submission at a later time, log into your eScholarship@UMMS account, click on the title of your submission, and select the option in the menu in the upper left to Revise Project. To upload new or updated supplemental files, select the option to Manage Additional Files.
The document will be “locked” to prevent further revisions. The Library will post the project in eScholarship@UMMS within 4 weeks of acceptance.
Published Manuscripts of DNP Project Work
Students should inform the Graduate School when manuscripts based on their DNP project research that have been submitted to journals are published. The Graduate School will ask the Library to include a link to the published journal article in the record for the DNP project.
Recommended citation and download metrics
Posting your project in eScholarship@UMMS provides a permanent link and DOI that you can include on a resume or CV. A recommended citation displays on the main page for each project. DNP projects are available immediately in Google, Google Scholar, and other search engines to maximize readership and impact of your scholarship. Each month the system will send an email to the email address used for your eScholarship@UMMS account with metrics on the number of full text downloads of your project. The download count is also available on the main page of your project.