Submission Guidelines for Capstone Presentations
- Benefits to School of Medicine students of having your Capstone presentation archived in the eScholarship@UMMS repository
- Requirements prior to submission
- Before you begin the online submission process
- Log in or create your account in eScholarship@UMMS
- How to submit
- Submission agreement
- Fill in submission form
- What happens next
- Recommended citation and download metrics
Benefits to School of Medicine students of having your Capstone presentation archived in the eScholarship@UMMS repository
- Immediate exposure through Google, Google Scholar and other search engines to maximize readership and impact of your scholarship
- Dissemination to a wider audience and increased exposure potentially lead to earlier and increased citation of your work
- Download statistics are available
- Permanent link and citation for inclusion on your CV
Requirements prior to submission
- The Capstone Presentation eScholarship@UMMS Permission Form must be filled out and signed electronically by the student(s) and the Capstone advisor. This form certifies that the Capstone presentation has been reviewed and accepted by the Capstone advisor, and designates the embargo selection.
- The full text of University of Massachusetts Medical School Capstone presentations will be made publicly available in the university’s repository, eScholarship@UMMS. If students wish to request an embargo on their Capstone presentation (i.e. a delay in online access to the full text), they must indicate it on the Capstone Presentation eScholarship@UMMS Permission Form. Guidelines and a full explanation of embargo options are included on the Capstone Policies page.
- Students should ensure that their Capstone presentation is free of errors. Once the Capstone presentation has been posted on eScholarship@UMMS, corrections cannot be made unless students submit an official request to the Capstone Course Leaders.
- Students must follow the School of Medicine guidelines for preparation of capstone presentations and ensure that formatting is correct, no required pages are missing, and their Capstone presentations are properly converted to PDF format if possible. No compression or password protection should be used and all fonts should be embedded in the document.
Before you begin the online submission process
Before you begin the online submission process, please be sure you have the following items ready:
- Full text of your final, approved capstone presentation (PDF format preferred if possible)
- Abstract (not required; however, submitting an abstract greatly improves the likelihood that a reader will find and download your document)
- Name and department of Capstone advisor
- Your Capstone Presentation eScholarship@UMMS Permission Form must first be completed and electronically signed by you and your Capstone advisor
- Supplemental files (handouts, datasets, images, spreadsheets, movies, etc.) to be displayed on the web page with your Capstone presentation, if applicable
If your capstone presentation is in a non-textual format (website, audio, video, images, etc.), please consult at the Lamar Soutter Library before beginning the online submission process.
For Capstone presentations with multiple authors, submit only one presentation and add all author names to this submission.
Log in or create your account in eScholarship@UMMS
- Open your web browser (Chrome and Firefox work best) and go to https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=capstones. Or, click on the Submit Capstone link in the left sidebar on https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/capstones/.
- If you already have an eScholarship@UMMS account, please log in. If you have never made a submission to eScholarship@UMMS before, you will need to click on Sign Up to create a free account. (It will be separate from your UMass network login.) When creating an account, it is preferable to provide a permanent email address that you can still use after graduation. Please enter “University of Massachusetts Medical School” as your institutional affiliation.
- After you click the Sign Up button, the eScholarship@UMMS system will send you a confirmation email. Click on the link in the message to confirm your account. (If you do not see the confirmation message in your email inbox, check the junk mail folder.)
How to submit
After logging into the system, you will be presented a submission agreement as the first step of the submission process. This is the same agreement as specified on the Capstone Presentation eScholarship@UMMS Permission Form. Please read the agreement carefully, print it for your records, check off the box, and click the Continue button.
Fill in submission form
Enter all information (names and email addresses of all student authors, dates, title, keywords, advisor, advisor’s department, abstract, embargo option) into the eScholarship@UMMS submission form for your Capstone presentation. Follow the instructions for each field.
Under Upload Full Text, select one of the two options:
- “Upload file from your computer”: Click the Browse button to locate the PDF file of the final version of your Capstone presentation on your computer and upload it.
- “Link out to file on remote site”: If your Capstone presentation PDF is on Google Drive or Dropbox, get a link for sharing and enter the shareable link in the box. This option is recommended if your file is large (5 MB or larger).
Check the box "Please check this if you'd like to add additional files" to upload any supplemental files to be displayed on the web page with your Capstone presentation, such as handouts, data sets, video clips, or sound files (if applicable).
You can enter a description for each file, e.g. “Appendix A. Survey instrument". When all additional files have been uploaded and saved, click the Continue button to complete the submission process.
When you see the message indicating that your Capstone presentation has been successfully uploaded, you are done. You will receive a system-generated email message to confirm receipt of your submission.
If you experience problems during the submission process, contact , the eScholarship@UMMS administrator.
What happens next
After reviewing the submission, the Library will contact you if there are questions regarding your submission. The document will be “locked” to prevent further revisions. The Library will post the Capstone presentation in eScholarship@UMMS within 1-2 weeks of acceptance, with or without an embargo as specified on the permission form.
If you have further questions, please contact the .
Recommended citation and download metrics
Posting your Capstone presentation in eScholarship@UMMS provides a permanent link that you can include on a resume or CV. A recommended citation is shown on each Capstone presentation page. Capstones are available immediately in Google, Google Scholar, and other search engines to maximize readership and impact of your scholarship. Each month the system will send an email to the email address used for your eScholarship@UMMS account with metrics on the number of full text downloads of your capstone presentation. The download count is also available on the Capstone presentation page.