Submission Guidelines for eScholarship@UMMS
- Who may contribute to eScholarship@UMMS
- Why submit your publications to eScholarship@UMMS
- What materials can be contributed
- Log in or create your account in eScholarship@UMMS
- How to submit to eScholarship@UMMS
- Submission agreement
- Fill in submission form
- What happens next
Who can contribute to eScholarship@UMMS
eScholarship@UMMS is a digital repository and publishing system offering worldwide access to the research, scholarly work, and expertise of the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) community. eScholarship@UMMS welcomes submissions from UMMS faculty and staff. UMMS students may submit theses, dissertations, published journal articles, and works that have been approved for inclusion by a faculty member. Non-UMMS researchers may find publication opportunities in our hosted journals and conferences.
Why submit your publications to eScholarship@UMMS
- Immediate exposure and worldwide dissemination through Google, Google Scholar and other search engines to maximize readership and impact of your scholarship
- Robust download statistics are available
- Permanent link and citation for inclusion on your CV
- DOIs and Creative Commons licenses can be provided
What materials can be contributed
eScholarship@UMMS welcomes digital materials in a wide range of formats, including text, images, video, and audio files. Materials must meet submission and copyright guidelines. Formats include, but are not limited to, the following: journal articles -- including preprints (author-created first version of a manuscript before peer review) and postprints (accepted peer-reviewed manuscripts); audio files; book chapters; conference papers; datasets; dissertations; posters; presentations; reports; student projects; and videos.
Submitting a work to eScholarship@UMMS does not transfer copyright; it only grants the Library a non-exclusive license to distribute and archive the work.
All submissions are reviewed for copyright compliance. Contributors must either hold copyright to the work or have the permission of the copyright holder to publish it in the repository. Contributors are solely responsible for obtaining the the rights to use any third-party copyrighted materials, allowing electronic distribution, prior to submission.
Many journal publishers allow authors to post a version of their published articles in an institutional repository such as eScholarship@UMMS. Authors can consult the SHERPA/RoMEO website, which provides a summary of permissions that are normally given to authors as part of each publisher’s copyright transfer agreement or license. The Library will also assist authors in determining if materials are eligible to be deposited; contact for assistance.
Log in or create your account in eScholarship@UMMS
- Open your web browser and go to https://escholarship.umassmed.edu/cgi/ir_submit.cgi?context=publications. Or, from the eScholarship@UMMS home page, click on the Submit Research link in the left navigation pane and follow the instructions.
- If you already have an eScholarship@UMMS account, please log in. If you have never made a submission to eScholarship@UMMS before, you will need to click on Sign Up under the login box to create a free account. (It will be separate from your UMass network login.) Please enter “University of Massachusetts Medical School” as your institutional affiliation.
- After you click the Sign Up button, the eScholarship@UMMS system will send you a confirmation email. Click on the link in the message to confirm your account. (If you do not see the confirmation message in your email inbox, check the junk mail folder.)
How to submit to eScholarship@UMMS
UMMS faculty and staff may submit research online through a direct submission process or contact for assistance with the submission process. All submissions are reviewed for copyright compliance. You'll need to log in or create a free account. (It will be separate from your UMass network login.)
Student research must be approved for inclusion by a UMMS faculty member related to the project. If you are unsure whether a publication is suitable for eScholarship@UMMS, consult before beginning the online submission process.
Before you begin the online submission process, please be sure you have the following items ready:
- The submission’s title
- PubMed ID (PMID) if the work is available in PubMed
- Authorization to post this work to an open access repository. If you have questions or need assistance, contact .
- An appropriate electronic version of the work or link to your file. PDF format is preferred, although most file formats are accepted. If you have questions or need assistance, contact .
- Any supplemental files to be displayed on the web page with your work such as handouts, datasets, video files, etc.
- Consider whether you would like to apply a Creative Commons License to this work. See About the Licenses for definitions and explanations of the various license types.
Please note that Chrome and Firefox browsers work best for the eScholarship@UMMS site. Some users of Safari and Internet Explorer have experienced problems with the submission process.
After logging into the system, you will be presented a submission agreement as the first step of the submission process. Please read the agreement carefully, print it for your records, check off the box, and click the Continue button.
Follow the instructions below to submit to eScholarship@UMMS. You will be notified shortly regarding the suitability of your submission for the series/journal.
Before submitting, please read all relevant policies and/or submission guidelines.
The submission process consists of the following steps:
- Read and accept the Submission Agreement below
- Provide information about yourself and any co-authors
- Upload your electronic file, if any, and associated files
Before you begin, please be sure you have the following items:
- The submission's title
- The abstract (up to 250 words)
- A list of keywords (10 maximum)
- The electronic format of your file, or hyperlink to your file, if any
Submission Agreement for eScholarship@UMMS
Note: this text is offered as a suggested model, not as legal advice.
By checking the box below, I grant eScholarship@UMMS on behalf of University of Massachusetts Medical School the non-exclusive right to distribute my submission ("the Work") over the Internet and make it part of the eScholarship@UMMS.
I warrant as follows:
- that I have the full power and authority to make this agreement;
- that the Work does not infringe any copyright, nor violate any proprietary rights, nor contain any libelous matter, nor invade the privacy of any person or third party;
- that the Work has not been published elsewhere with the same content or in the same format; and
- that no right in the Work has in any way been sold, mortgaged, or otherwise disposed of, and that the Work is free from all liens and claims.
I understand that once a peer-reviewed Work is deposited in the repository, it may not be removed.
NOTE: It is suggested that you print this page for your records.
Fill in submission form
- Follow the entry instructions for each field on the brief submission form.
- Click the Submit button.
- When you see the message indicating that your submission has been successfully uploaded, you are done. You will receive a system-generated email message to confirm receipt of your submission.
If you experience problems during the submission process, contact , the eScholarship@UMMS administrator.
To revise your submission at a later time (prior to posting), log into your eScholarship@UMMS account, click on the title of your submission, and select the option in the menu in the upper left to Revise Submission.
What happens next
After reviewing the submission, the Library will contact you if there are any questions. Most submissions are posted within 7 business days.