As mammography use increases, are some providers omitting clinical breast examination
Department of Quantitative Health Sciences
Aged; Breast Neoplasms; Female; Humans; Mammography; Middle Aged; Physical Examination; *Physician's Practice Patterns; Physicians, Women
Biostatistics | Epidemiology | Health Services Research
OBJECTIVE: To explore use of clinical breast examination (CBE) among women receiving mammography.
METHODS: A retrospective cohort analysis of 100 women aged 50 years or older with at least one bilateral mammogram. Chart review documented demographic information, severity of illness, and performance of CBE (from 1 year prior to 18 months after the mammogram).
RESULTS: The mean age of the 100 women was 63 years. They were predominantly unmarried (60%), nonwhite (58%), and not currently employed (57%). Three quarters (76%) had mammography and CBE (comprehensive screening), while the remaining 24% had mammography only. Sociodemographic factors did not differ for women with and without comprehensive screening (P>.1). However, patients of female providers were more likely to receive comprehensive screening than patients of male providers. Specifically, 95% of women seen by female attending physicians or fellows had comprehensive screening vs 67% for male attending physicians or fellows and 61% for residents (P=.008).
CONCLUSIONS: Mammography may be replacing CBE especially among patients of male providers. Interventions targeted to these providers could help improve the use of CBE and mammography.
Rights and Permissions
Citation: Arch Intern Med. 1996 Apr 8;156(7):741-4. Link to article on publisher's site
Archives of internal medicine
Burns, Risa B.; Freund, Karen M.; Ash, Arlene S.; Shwartz, Michael; Antab, Lisa; and Hall, Ruth E., "As mammography use increases, are some providers omitting clinical breast examination" (1996). Quantitative Health Sciences Publications and Presentations. 647.